Friday, October 9, 2009

A Game We'll Never Play!

At least, I'm unlikely to buy a PS3 and I'm sure you won't. But 'Demon's Souls' is just super-interesting. It was actually linked on metafilter so you may already know the dizzle, but I assume you wouldn't have bothered to read up on it and even if you did, all the mefi people seemed to care about is how hard it is. I don't really find that interesting - the reasons why it is hard are interesting enough, I guess, but just being difficult is more of a con than a pro, as a general rule.

What's really neat is the game's online features. It's a single-player game that's online all of the time and is occasionally multiplayer, both at your request if you're lucky and against your will if you're not. It's the least-offensive multiplayer-only scheme I've ever encountered, because it's basically single-player. Which sounds like a contradiction but isn't.

http://playmagazine.com/?fuseaction=SiteMain.Content&contentid=1855 is a review. There are others, but this one had a great line in it, and I didn't feel like reading them all to find the 'best one.' The great line? "Demon's Souls... is as long as you are stupid." It's worth noting that this is apparently considered a 'spiritual successor(tm)' to the King's Field series of RPGs. I have a King's Field PS2 game and it is the single worst videogame I have ever played on a console.

No comments:

Post a Comment